Friday, September 11, 2009

"Click"

This weeks English assignment was to create pictures of moments with words.
Here's what I came up with, along with some pictures to supplement.
Have a great weekend!
What’s In a Name?
Sitting in a room too sterile for its own good. Crammed onto a tiny couch not meant for three people. Holding a precious newborn small enough to fit in my purse. I still didn’t know what Baby Madeleine’s full name was! Her parents had kept me in suspense for months. Now, sitting next to my brother-in-law Andy, the moment had come. He was writing a blog post to announce the arrival of his fourth child. He typed “Madeleine” then turned to me, “you ready for this Nat?” “Yes!” My breath caught in my throat as his abnormally large fingers typed the word Rose. For the first time in my life, I was speechless. This beautiful girl in my arms shared my name! Instantly I was struck by the power of this moment. I felt the pressure of being a role model. I immediately resolved to never do anything to make Miss Madeleine Rose feel ashamed of her namesake.

All Lit Up

I’d been waiting for this moment ever since I set foot on French soil. It was my last Sunday here in this beautiful city and unlike my hometown of Mesa, the streets of Paris teemed with life. People were everywhere, living it up and enjoying the beautiful weather. The air surrounding me was electric, like someone had plugged the city into a wall and pressed the ON button. Though it was almost eleven o’clock, I felt safe walking alongside my 6’3’’ brother-in-law Andy. We quickly made our way up to Sacreqour where, according to Bekah, we’d have the best view in the city. As the minutes slugged by and turned into seconds, my anticipation reached a breaking point, no longer bubbling in my stomach, but boiling over like hot water left on the burner too long. Then, finally, it came. The Eiffel Tower sparkled and shone like nothing I’d ever seen before. The beauty of it made tears come to my eyes. I could’ve been hundreds of miles away and still have been able to see the brilliant glittering. “Okay,” I thought to myself. “I can go home now.”



9 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's some good stuff. :o)

Unknown said...

Yes. Yes we are twinsies! Paris and babies are my favorites, but not necessarily in that order... Francophiles unite!

Melly Mel said...

Oh how fun! Congrats!

AmyK said...

Thumbs up!
We have the same name. One of our old neighbors, when I was a kid, liked the way "Amy Rose" sounded so much when she heard it on me, that she named her kid "Amy Rose." Haha.

✩Molly✩ said...

:) love it.

jealous you have been to paris, and I have not, but I'll get over it.... ;)

Bekah Jennings said...

I love that both your "pictures" involve my family :)

Alexa Mae said...

i love your writing!!! that is so precious. and how awesome to have someone named after you. you are a freat role model. xoxo

Nancy Face said...

Your writing is wonderful, and it makes it even MORE fun, knowing all the people in this post! :)

Maren said...

I've been to Paris and seen the eifel tower, checked out cute guys hanging out nearby. Rode to the top, spit off the top (as best I could - on a dare from my BIL) been there, done that... but your story about what's in a name melted my hard heart and made me all teary eyed. What a lucky little ducky to be named after such an amazing girl. I love ya Natalie. Every crazy, fun, endearing inch of you.