Thursday, December 17, 2009

Operas and Finals and Dresses Oh My!!!

Recently in English, we've been studying this CreeperMcCreeperFace: Yes, Edgar Allen Poe, was a genius, but he also creeps the heck out of me!!!
Anywho, to end our unit we were assigned to do a Poe Parody.
We could write a story, make a movie or write a song.
Geiser said that if we sing we get extra credit.
So what did Jessica, Sammy, Sarah, Suz and I do?
We turned The Masque of the Red Death
into
The Masque of the Red Death: An Opera in Five Parts
If you've never read the story, basically its during the time of the plague and a selfish bratty prince named Prospero gathers all the courtiers and they all hide out in an abbey until the plague is gone. At least that's the plan. During their Masquerade however, a hooded figure enters and once revealed, it kills the Prince and everyone else present. You can run but you can't hide from the plague.
Well we wanted to spice this up so we turned it into an "opera."
We split it into five parts and wrote a song for each part and each person sang (or rapped) a song.

The first song was
Can You Feel the Death Tonight?
(Can You Feel the Love Tonight? Lion King)
And it was all about the pains and evils of the plague.

Then came
Prince Prospero's Rap.
(Thug Story-Taylor Swift)
Talking about the Prince's selfish plan to hide out.
Seven Rooms
(Seven Things by Miley Cyrus)
Prince Prospero's Suite had seven rooms, one of every color.

Then we took Viva La Vida by Coldplay and turned it into a song about the clock.
During the Masquerade, the people would stop their festivities every time the clock chimed a new hour. It had an ominous tone to it that tripped everyone out.


And for the climax, we rewrote What is This Feeling from Wicked.
Instead of Loathing, it was Deathly, talking about when the plague appears in the form of a person and kills everyone.
This was pretty much the most entertaining project I've ever done!!!
In other news:
*Our Evening of Excellence for YW's was last night and it went fabulously! The theme was Daughters of a King so it was all about princesses!!!! LOVED IT!!! Can you tell that I helped plan it? The best part was that my AMAZING yw's president MADE ME A BELLE DRESS!!!!!
OH MY GOODNESS IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!
It looks JUST like Belle's!!
I'm. In. Love.
*This morning in seminary we had our Christmas conference which was AWESOME!! Students spoke and did musical numbers all centering around Christ and Christmas and the spirit was SO strong!!!
*My two hardest finals (trig and anatomy) are OVER!*
*TOMORROW'S THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR 2009!!!!!!*
SING PRAISES!!!!!!
Alyssa Kellogg

5 comments:

TLC said...

Yes, Poe scares the crap out of me too! BUT, his Annabelle Lee poem is my FAVORITE FAVE LOVE/HEARTACHE poem. My aunt would recite it to my when i was little all the time "sighs"

Oh and I'm emailing you the "Adam" Story...


I LOVED your project idea! LOVED it! Oh my goodness and I miss my YW days...they seem not so far distant but yet it's been almost 8 years since i was there!!!!

Can we see a pic of the dress with you in it???????? Pleassseeeeeeee!!!

TLC said...

I was first! Sweeeeeet! Suckas.
Now, Second -haha!

Alexa Mae said...

you are so creative. i admire that so much. and yay for almost christmas break!

Geevz said...

I LOVE the opera idea. And can I get a Halelujah! HALELUJAH! Amen my sister!

Lindsey said...

What a fantastic post!!! That project sounds nothing short of AMAZING!!! I wish I could have heard it. And Horray for no more school!