Thursday, January 22, 2009

Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say

I firmly believe in the truth of this statement.

But I also believe this one:


You're talking so much I can't hear what you're saying.


My family and I have discussed this topic quite frequently.

My Dad pointed something out.

"The really intelligent people are the ones who mostly listen."

But when they do speak, what they're saying has much depth.

I have a family member like that.
He's one of the smartest people I've ever met.

But you'd never know it.

Not because he acts stupid.

On the contrary, he is just extremely humble.

We'll be having a conversation at family dinner and all of us outspoken folk will be going on and on and thenhe'll say something that either has us holding our sides from laughing so hard or being quiet for five minutes contemplating what he said.

I definently don't have that effect on people.

So I say what I mean to, and I mean it.

But is it really necessary?

Just something to think about.

6 comments:

✩Molly✩ said...

One of my favorite words of wisdom is, think before you speak. That seems to keep me out of trouble with my words most of the time.

My brother Adam always thinks something through twice before he says anything. My dad used to wonder why he always had such a delayed response when asked a question, and then when my brother explained, my dad was glad to discover that he wasn't being slow, but being thoughful.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Hmm...definitely something to think about.

I am more of a listener, in real life...so I really think about the things I say before I say them.

Ann Marie said...

I wish I always thought about what I was going to say before I say what I do..I have gotten myself into trouble a few times..
I am also one of those "outspoken" girls that is trying to talk over everyone else in the family at dinner. We are all loud and crazy!
Good thoughts!

Camille said...

I have SUCH a hard time thinking things through before I say them. Even when I write, and have lots of time to think about my words, they sometimes still come out wrong. I want to be more intelligent, and I think keeping my mouth closed is a great start. Thanks!

Bekah Jennings said...

Hmmm--I think I know who you are talking about--Sam.

Nancy Face said...

Thanks for visiting my silly blog and leaving such a nice comment! :)

I have a big mouth. I'm outspoken and sometimes say things that don't come out right. I really should do more thinking first!